Right now it is a trying time. We all know it is best to stay at home, stay 6 feet away, and to wash your hands often. But, do you know what to do in case of a dental emergency? Here are some tips to handle dental emergencies during the COVID-19 pandemic.
What is a Dental Emergency?
A dental emergency is any accident or physical trauma to the mouth that results in serious injury or pain. Examples of common dental emergencies include:
- Loose teeth
- Knocked out tooth
- Cracked or broken tooth
- Persistent toothache
- Cuts to the tissues inside the mouth
- Lost crown or filling
What to do in an Emergency
If you have a dental emergency during quarantine, your first step should always be to call our emergency dentist in San Marcos, TX. We will be able to schedule you a same-day appointment in order to provide you or your family member the urgent care needed. We will be following the FDA’s orders in order to keep both you and our staff safe and in a healthy environment. If you are feeling sick or have fever, the best thing for you to do is to call your doctor or go to the emergency room. If you are feeling under the weather, we suggest you stay home.
How to Prevent Dental Accidents
While accidents cannot always be avoided, there are some simple precautions every family should take to reduce the likelihood of dental injuries, such as:
- Avoid Hard Foods – Avoid chewing on hard foods that can crack teeth, such as candy canes, popcorn kernels, olives with pits or ice cubes.
- Wear a Protective Mouth Guard – Have your children wear a custom mouth guard to protect their teeth when playing backyard football, ice skating or participating in other physical activities.
- Do Not Use Teeth as Tools – Never use teeth to tear open packages. Grab the scissors instead!
- Regular Oral Care – Make sure you and your children see a dentist every six months for a regular dental checkup to prevent tooth decay and other oral health problems.
We hope you and your family are staying healthy and safe during this time. But, should an emergency arise, we here at AquaSprings Dental will be happy to see you. Book your emergency appointment today.